Gastric Bypass Surgery: An Overview
Gastric bypass surgery refers to a surgical procedure in which the stomach is divided into a small upper pouch and a much larger lower “remnant” pouch and then the small intestine is rearranged to connect to both. Surgeons have developed several different ways to reconnect the intestine, thus leading to several different gastric bypass (GBP) procedures. Any GBP leads to a marked reduction in the functional volume of the stomach, accompanied by an altered physiological and physical response to food.
The operation is prescribed to treat morbid obesity (defined as a body mass index greater than 40), type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, and other comorbid conditions
Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery
The mini gastric bypass procedure was first developed by Robert Rutledge from the US in 1997, as a modification of the standard Billroth II procedure. A mini gastric bypass creates a long narrow tube of the stomach along its right border (the lesser curvature). A loop of the small gut is brought up and hooked to this tube at about 180 cm from the start of the intestine.
Numerous studies show that the loop reconstruction (Billroth II gastrojejunostomy) works more safely when placed low on the stomach, but can be a disaster when placed adjacent to the esophagus. Today thousands of “loops” are used for surgical procedures to treat gastric problems such as ulcers, stomach cancer, and injury to the stomach. The mini gastric bypass uses the low set loop reconstruction and thus has rare chances of bile reflux.
The mini gastric bypass has been suggested as an alternative to the Roux-en-Y procedure due to the simplicity of its construction and is becoming more and more popular because of low risk of complications and well-sustained weight loss. It has been estimated that 15.4% of weight loss surgery in Asia is now performed via the MGB technique.
Results and health benefits of Gastric Bypass
- Weight loss of 65–80% of excess body weight is typical of the largest series of gastric bypass operations reported. The medically more significant effects include a dramatic reduction in comorbid conditions:
- Hyperlipidemia is corrected in over 70% of patients.
- Essential hypertension is relieved in over 70% of patients, and medication requirements are usually reduced in the remainder.
- Obstructive sleep apnea improves markedly with weight loss and bariatric surgery may be curative for sleep apnea. Snoring also reduces in most patients.
- Type 2 diabetes is reversed in up to 90% of patients usually leading to a normal blood sugar level without medication, sometimes within days of surgery. Furthermore, Type 2 diabetes is prevented by more than 30-fold in patients with pre-diabetes. All these findings were first reported by Walter Pories and Jose F. Caro.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease is relieved in almost all patients.
- Venous thromboembolic disease signs such as leg swelling are typically alleviated.
- Lower-back pain and joint pain are typically relieved or improved in nearly all patients.
Dr. Girish Bapat’s CALOMS super speciality clinic for Obesity provides all the kinds of Gastric bypass surgeries in Pune along with Mini Gastric Bypass. Our Success rate is one of the highest in the country with best outcomes and reasonable budget. Our growing International reputation, especially in Middle Eastern countries, is the visible proof of our quality service.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=\”1/3\”][vc_single_image image=\”2553\” img_size=\”full\” alignment=\”center\” style=\”vc_box_shadow_3d\”][vc_single_image image=\”2554\” img_size=\”full\” alignment=\”center\” style=\”vc_box_shadow_3d\”][/vc_column][/vc_row]