About Dr. Girish Bapat
Dr. Bapat’s main areas of interest are in the fields of Bariatric (Obesity / Weight loss), Laparoscopic (Keyhole) and Gastrointestinal (GI) Surgery. He specialises in Laparoscopic gastric bypass, Laparoscopic gastric band and Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for Obesity, Laparoscopic hernia repairs, Laparoscopic cholecystectomy for gallstones, Laparoscopic antireflux surgery for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD), advanced laparoscopic surgery and emergency surgery.
Before relocating to Pune, India, Dr. Bapat was consultant in General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric surgery at Mid-Yorks hospital NHS Trust, Dewsbury, UK. He has had extensive training in Laparoscopic and General surgery both in the UK and in India and has undertaken more than 2000 surgical procedures so far.
In addition, Dr. Girish Bapat has performed over 400 laparoscopic (keyhole) bariatric procedures (including more than 200 laparoscopic gastric bypasses).
After completing higher general surgical and laparoscopic training in the UK (CCT) which has been accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons, England, Dr. Bapat has trained as the Post-CCT Fellow in Bariatric and Upper GI Surgery for 12-months at Castlehill Hospital, Hull, UK. This centre is one of the busiest in the country, as well as being an accredited centre for training in bariatric surgery.
Dr. Bapat has also trained with Dr. Bruno Dillemans at St. Jan Hospital in Bruges, Belgium, where he completed a 3-month fellowship in Bariatric Surgery, awarded by Association of Surgeons in Training (ASiT), UK. This center is one of the busiest in the world (performing over 900 bariatric procedures annually).
He has trained other surgeons in the field of bariatric and laparoscopic surgery and has undertaken numerous presentations at national and international meetings, and also has publications in peer-reviewed journals. Dr. Bapat has established a comprehensive weight- loss surgery programme at Pune. He is affiliated to leading hospitals in India.
DR. GIRISH BAPAT
MBBS, MS, FRCS (GLASG.), FRCS (GEN SURG), FRCS (LONDON)
- F.R.C.S. (London) (Oct. 2013
- Laparoscopic and Bariatric Fellowship, Hull, (June 2010)
- C.C.T (July 2008)
- F.R.C.S. (intercollegiate) (Sept 2007)
- F.R.C.S. (General Surgery) (June 1997)
- M.S. (General Surgery) (Dec.1993)
- M.B.B.S. (Dec.1990)
Management strategy for HDGC in CDH-1 positive gene families’- This is a study on Asian family clusters in east London with CDH-1 positive which carries a high risk of HDGC. Management of this condition which includes endoscopic surveillance or prophylactic gastrectomy is debatable and because of the rarity of this condition, there is no clear consensus. Initial findings were presented at AUGIS 2009 meeting.
‘Purinergic receptor signalling in human skeletal muscle microvessels in limb ischemia’. The aim was to determine the expression of various purinergic receptors in normal human calf skeletal muscle microvessels and study the changes in their expression occurring in acute and chronic ischemia. I have presented findings in the international meetings.
Efficacy of axillary lymph node dissection in cases of carcinoma breast. The aim was to audit the number of lymph nodes dissected during axillary node dissection and to compare it with BASO guidelines. I completed & presented this audit at the north-west Anglia breast meeting. Audit of neck drains on patients undergoing thyroid and para thyroid surgery Aim was to assess earlier removal of drains in patients undergoing thyroid and parathyroid surgery. I have presented the audit at the hospital meeting.
- Distinction in anatomy
- Member of Court of examiners Royal College Surgeons England, London
- Posterior wall duodenal perforation presenting as perinephric abscess – Br J Urol 2000; 86:1093.G, et al
- Unusual presentations of congenital absence of inferior vena cava. Journal of Angiology 2003;12:48-50.Bapat G, et al
- S. Thesis- Congenital obstructive uropathy- a clinico- radiological evaluation. Dissertation for post –graduation in general surgery. Devi Ahilya University, Indore, MP, India. December 1993, Bapat G, Parekh BR
- Purinergic receptor expression and changes in skeletal muscle microvessels in chronic limb ischaemia (abstract) Br J Surg 2004; 91, Issue 9(1217-1222(6),Bapat G, et.al.
- Changes in purinergic receptor signalling in human skeletal muscle microvessels in lower limb ischaemia (abstract) Applied Cardiovascular Pathology 2004 Bapat G, et.al.
- Upregulation of P2Y2 receptors on human vascular smooth muscle in microvessels and aorta in response to ischemia and hypoxia-(abstract) EJVES 2004 Extra Vol 8, Bapat G et. al.
- P2X1 receptor distribution and changes in response to hypoxia in combined human skeletal muscle microvessels and cultured smooth muscle cells (abstract) EJVES 2004 Extra Vol 8, Bapat G. et.al.
- Anastomotic stricture following Ivor lewis oesophagectomy- incidence and associated factors (abstract) Br J Surg 2008; 95(S3): 1–84 Bapat G. et. al.
- Acquisition & assessment of specific skills in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. (abstract) Br J Surg 2008; 95(S3): 1–84 Bapat G. et. al. Preventable adverse events and unplanned medical consultations following day case surgery (abstract) Br J Surg 2008; 95(S3): 1–84 Bapat G. et. al.
- Public opinion of surgical professionals in the 21st century (abstract) Br J Surg 2008; 95(S3): 1–84, Bapat G et al. Prophylactic gastrectomy in CDH-1 positive carriers (abstract) Br J Surg 2008; 95(S7): 1–58. Bapat G. et al.
- Laparoscopic insertion of a gastric band for weight regain following laparoscopic roux-en-Y gastric bypass- abstract- video presentation – IFSO- 2009.
- Copper deficiency leading to muscular weakness and peripheral neuropathy post gastric bypass. Poster presentation- IFSO-2009 ‘Gastric bypass for morbid obesity’- Chapter submitted for text book in bariatric surgery by Prof. Hakim
- Role of ultrasonography and fine needle aspiration cytology in cases of thyroid swellings, the annual conference of association of surgeons of India,92 Calcutta.
- Efficacy of axillary clearance or axillary lymph node dissection in cases of carcinoma breast. oral presentation, north west Anglia regional breast meeting, Peterborough- 1998.
- What would happen to vascular services at DGHs if vascular services were to be transferred to the specialist centres-oral presentation M 60- Mersey joint vascular group meeting- Nov’99
- Spontaneous rupture of malarial spleen. Poster presentation at the annual meeting of ASGBI at Birmingham 25 – 27.4.2001.
- Purinergic receptor expression and changes in skeletal muscle microvessels in chronic limb ischaemia. Poster presentation at surgical academic research society- Belfast, Jan 2004
- Changes in purinergic receptor signalling in human skeletal muscle microvessels in lower limb ischaemia. Poster presentation at International society for applied cardiovascular biology, Savannah, Georgia, March 2004.
- Up-regulation of P2Y2 receptors on human vascular smooth muscle in microvessels and aorta in response to ischemia and hypoxia. Oral presentation at ESVS- 2004, Innsbruck, Austria.
- P2X1 receptor distribution and changes in response to hypoxia in combined human skeletal muscle microvessels and cultured smooth muscle cells. Oral presentation at ESVS- 2004, Innsbruck, Austria.
- Prophylactic gastrectomy in CDH-1 positive carriers. Poster presentation- AUGIS 2008.
- Laparoscopic insertion of a gastric band for weight regain following laparoscopic roux-en-Y gastric bypass- video presentation – IFSO- 2009
- Copper deficiency leading to muscular weakness and peripheral neuropathy post gastric bypass. Poster presentation- IFSO-2009
- British Association of Obesity & Metabolic Surgeons (BOMSS).
- Indian Medical Association (IMA).
- Poona Surgical Society (PSS)
- Obesity Surgical Society of India (OSSI)
- Obesity surgery – laparoscopic gastric bypass, gastric and sleeve.
- gastrectomy (gastric sleeve), Mini Gastric Bypass, Gastric Balloon.
- Laparoscopic hernia (inguinal and incisional) repairs Laparoscopic cholecystectomy for gallstones.
- Laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)/heartburn
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Abdominoplast and Tummy Tuck